Tuesday 14 April 2009

A Year of Breathing

We are all of us caught in a paradox. We know we need to change the way we live, to be in better balance with nature, but everything around us pulls us towards ways we know are unsustainable.
I felt this paradox very strongly when I was invited to make an artwork on the theme of ‘natural balance’ for Girona, which would use natural, recyclable materials. I thought ‘I am not a local material!'

I don’t believe that it is Art’s job to provide answers or to tell people what to think or do. I think Art’s job is to invite you into a ‘space’ in which you may think about questions in an open way, which recognizes the necessity of always remaining in doubt. So I decided to make a proposal which is about creating this kind of space, in collaboration with the people of Girona.

No comments:

Post a Comment