Tuesday 14 April 2009

How much CO2 do we each breathe out?


Using a standard online carbon calculator (the kind that sell you some trees to ‘offset’ your emissions, so you don’t feel so bad about flying) I worked out that my travel by air to Girona from my home in Scotland would produce 0.3 tonnes of CO2. Our own bodies are intimately involved with this process of exchange with the atmosphere. The National Lung Health Education Programme estimates that we each breathe out around 400ml CO2 per minute, net. When I added this up, it works out that a flight from Glasgow to Girona produces the same amount of CO2 emissions as one year of exhalations for one person.

So instead of using up a year of breathing by flying to install my work, I am donating my ‘carbon budget’ 0.3 tonnes of CO2 to the people of Girona for the purposes of breathing.

http://thinkearth.wordpress.com/2007/03/30/how-much-c02-do-we-each-breathe-out/

2 comments: